Submittable Feedback

How can we make Submittable better?

What would you like to see us do?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to set additional staff roles

I'd really like to be able to organize my staff into groups. For instance, we read fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction submissions (art goes to everyone) and instead of manually assigning each submission to all the people in a category, I'd like to be able to set groups and have some additional buttons for "assign to X group." Would save SO much time!

226 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    9 comments  ·  Organizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create new Status other than Decline & Accept

I need to be able to add a Status other than Accept and Decline. I'd like to add a Revise status or to be able to change the text to whatever I need.

219 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Accepting Manuscripts or Artwork  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. customize permission levels

I think it would be really helpful if the permission levels could be customizable. I'd love to have more control over what my editors can and cannot see.

179 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  14 comments  ·  Organizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Block submitters / submitter notes.

It'd be great to be able to either block certain submitters from submitting in the future, or at least be able to make notes on certain submitters about their past submission behavior.

-Doug

167 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make response templates more customizable

Make response templates more customizable:
    - add file attachments (e.g., to auto-send subscription issues)
    - add logos, pictures, or rich-text capability
    - edit subject lines
    - additional placeholder tags (e.g., category expiration date)

149 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add "In-progress" date

In the user's submission page, show the date their submission moved from Received to In-progress.

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Hide status of submission from submitters

I'd love the option to hide the status of submissions from submitters. In our organization, we don't always want submitters to know if a submissions is In Progress or not. (We're an all-volunteer group with limited time; so we do our reviewing in bursts.)

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Accepting Applications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Select Meaningful Label Colors

Rather than always having label colors automatically/randomly generated, I'd like to be able to either specify the color code or pick from a palette so that the label color matches the meaning of the label.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Staff to receive emails whenever notes are added by other staff

Our Staff uses Submittable to collaborate and approve submissions as they come in. Right now there is no way that I can see to receive an email notification that let's me know when staff members have reviewed and made a comment on the submission. I'd like to receive an email so I know when a note was added and it would also be nice to have the note included in the email so that I don't have to log in to submittable to see what was added.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Accepting Manuscripts or Artwork  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back the "View as PDF" option for submission

I miss the "view as PDF" option of submissions, and am wondering if it might be possible to bring it back at some point in the future. I loved that feature, since I could quickly & easily check to see which work(s)/which version(s) of work(s) I sent to a publication without having to download the file and clutter my (already cluttered) downloads folder on my desktop. I know it once existed, so I'm hoping it wasn't removed for a particular reason, and could maybe be brought back!

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Discount Codes

I think it would be a great option for people who order through the website to have the ability to input discount codes and have those discounts applied to their order. This would also allow organizations to be able to track the effectiveness of advertising by attaching unique codes to each advertisement and then seeing which codes are used and how often.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "Not" in filters

There are many times I would like to search for the inverse of a filter option: for example, I may want all the items which do NOT have a certain label, or all items which are NOT assigned to a staff member, or do NOT contain a search term.

(The multi-select dropdowns don't work for this, because they are an "any" comparison and not an "only.")

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. @Mentions

I had another idea, guys. It would be great to be able to @mention people in the comments box on submissions. It'd save me from having to open up my email client, load a new message, paste an email, write it and send it.

It'd be great to just be able to do "@Charlie, what do you think about the X, Y, and Z in this piece?" and for Charlie to be alerted to it.

This is probably a huge development hurdle, but it would be very very awesome!

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Organizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow submitters to upload an image of themselves that is not a gravatar

Significant privacy and image control issues exist related to gravatars (see, for example; http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/44717/is-gravatar-a-privacy-risk)

Why not allow submitters to upload an image of themselves that is not a gravatar?

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enhanced search: notes and other submissions fields

The information added as notes and the information coming in from forms would be significantly more useful if we could search them. Even a simple option to at least include notes in searches would be greatly welcome.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Would love to get an Android app

It would be great to have a streamlined way to read PDF submissions on my droid tablet--whether it's through an app or pushing them through Google Play, etc.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Evan FaulkEvan Faulk responded

Hi there,

We do not currently plan to make an Android app, but we are working on making the full site responsive across all devices and getting rid of the mobile site. Stay tuned!

17. Slothful Response Time Alert

1) Level 5 sets a number of days. Say alert_days = 60.
    2) If a particular submission has not been marked "declined" or "accepted" by (submission_date + alert_days), automatically email the main account email with an alert.

or

Implement the option to enable an alert to the main account on login for submissions that have not been marked "declined" or "accepted" by (submission_date + alert_days).

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Organizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Evan FaulkEvan Faulk responded

We are planning on launching a reminder/alert feature for staff voting by May 1st.

18. Ability for editors to switch interfaces

Ability for editors to toggle between vote total and their own votes, as is the format on lower-level positions. This would make it easier for editors to keep track of what they've voted on as well as watch the general reaction to a piece.

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Organizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Choose which columns to show on submissions screen

For our workflow, we don't really need to know who the piece is assigned to from the main screen. It would be cool if you could choose which information gets a column on the submissions screen. The ability to display an entry from the submissions form would be ideal.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Accepting Manuscripts or Artwork  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hide/Remove submissions that journals/contests keep in "in progress" purgatory long after rejection

I ADORE submittable. What I do not adore is journals/contests that never take the time to change the status of a submission. I have several submissions that are well over a year old...the contest has long passed or I have been notified that my work has not been accepted, but the journal/contest just leaves my submission in "in progress" purgatory. It is irritating to constantly see these subs as "active" when I know they are not. I'd love to be able to hide or remove those subs from my active list.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Submitters  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 22 23
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base