Congratulations on signing up for Submittable. Let’s get started.
Setting up your form and customizing your application will take about 10 minutes. After that, you can immediately start accepting text, audio, video, image, or link submissions. Follow the steps below or watch a brief video.
1. The first thing you’ll do is create a submission category, or a call for submissions or applications. To do this, select the Categories page from the navigation bar in your account.
2. Add a new category by clicking the Add Category button in the upper right-hand corner of your Categories tab. You’ll be taken to the Category Builder’s General Settings tab.
Fill in the appropriate information:
- Give the category a Name, such as Fall 2016 Applications or Short Story Contest
- Guidelines contains the general guidelines for your submission category. Sample guidelines for a call for a writing contest would be:
Submit the first chapter of your novel manuscript, up to 25 pages.
Judge: Richard Musso
Entry fee: $10, which includes a copy of our spring 2016 issue.
- Price: To help pay your team, you can optionally place a fee on a submission. Submittable provides built-in credit card processing. When you enter an amount (minimum fee is $2.00), you will be shown a breakdown of the payment processing charges, the Submittable fee, and the amount that your organization will receive per-transaction.
- Starts On: Enter a date here to open the category to submissions on a specific date.
- Expires On: Enter a date here to close the category to submissions on a specific date.
- Hidden: Checking this box will make this category hidden from your public categories webpage. Submitters will only be able to go to this submission category if you send them the direct link to it.
- Live: Checking this box will make this category "live" on the website. It will appear in your public categories webpage, and users will be able to submit to it.
3. You have completed the General Settings tab. Scroll to the top of the page and click on the Form Designer tab.
The Form Designer is where you create the submission form that your submitters will complete. By default, the form has Title, Cover Letter, and File Upload fields. Scroll down and click the Add files button in the File Upload field.
Select the acceptable file types you’d like to allow the submitter to send with their submission. Submittable allows for multiple files to be uploaded during a submission. Choose the number of files you would like to allow the submitter to upload.
Add fields to your form by dragging and dropping them from the Toolbox on the right side of the Form Designer. To re-order the fields, drag and drop them within your form. To edit a field, simply click on the field and make your preferred changes. To delete a field, hover your mouse over it, and click on the Trash Can icon in the upper right-hand corner of the field. Read more on form fields. To make a field blind, check the Blind checkbox for that field (see more info on blind levels in Step 4 below).
4. Scroll to the top of the page and click on the Assignments & Notifications tab.
You can optionally set a Blind Level to hide identifying information
about the submitter, as well as fields you've specified as blind in the Form Designer, from the reviewer's
view. Any team member at or below the level number chosen will not see
blind information. Read more on blind
- Default Note Visibility: Choose the visibility setting for notes that are added in the Submission Details page.
- Team Member(s): Auto-assign team member(s) to new submissions for a particular category by choosing their names from the Team Member(s) list. You can hold the CTRL key while clicking to select or deselect names from the list.
- Receive an email alert for each submission?: Choose to have an email alert sent to all team meber assigned to this category whenever a new submission is received.
- Choose an auto-response: Select a response template that will be sent to submitters when they submit to this category.
- Success URL: You can specify a URL that submitters will be redirected to after they have submitted to this category. If you leave this blank, the submitter will be taken to a default success page containing a link to your organization’s main website.
5. Click the Save Category button. A dialog box will ask you if you wish to continue editing or return to your category list. Select Return to List.
6. To view what your submission form will look like, click the View Your Site button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
7. You can continue to create more submission categories as needed by repeating the above steps.8. Lastly, we recommend putting a ‘Submit’ button on your website to link your website to your submissions form. Copy and paste your link code from the box located at the bottom of the Categories page.
Congratulations! You’re ready to accept submissions.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Phone: (855) 467-8264
We look forward to making your submissions process work perfectly for you.
-The Submittable Team